It is quite common for QuickBooks users to have multiple company files on the system. The need to have more than one company file arises when a user needs to manage multiple businesses. Managing multiple businesses and company file in QuickBooks is quite easy however, there exists certain error that appears while accessing multiple company files in a single version of QuickBooks Desktop. One such error that we are going to discuss in this article is “QuickBooks Error The File Exists”. This error appears with an error message that reads “The Windows error was "The file exists” and multiple troubleshooting solutions can be applied to resolved it. Further in this article you will not only find the reasons that triggers the file exists error in QuickBooks but also some of the easiest ways to resolve it. Keep reading the complete article for detailed info.If you are looking for external assistance resolving the error, then dial (844)-932-1139 and get in touch with one of our certified QuickBooks Desktop experts nowReasons that Trigger “The Windows error was "The file exists” Error Message in QuickBooks
Top Solutions to Resolve “QuickBooks the file exists” Error
- In case, if you are not logged in with an administrator account.
- Having improper folder or file access permission to the user is also a common reasons that causes such file access errors in QuickBooks.
- Improperly set up User Account Control settings can also cause issues while accessing the company file in QuickBooks.
- Firewall or antivirus restrictions on the company file.
- Corrupt installation of QuickBooks Desktop application.
Before implementing the solutions listed further in the article make sure to update your QuickBooks Desktop and also run QuickBooks File Doctor to resolve general company file corruption and network connection issues.Solution 1: Run QuickBooks Using an Administrator Account
Solution 2: Turn off UAC under Windows Settings
- Log-off the current user account on Windows.
- Continue to login using an account that has the administrative rights.
- Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon on your desktop.
- Select Run as Administrator.
- Try to open the company file once again and check if the error is now resolved.
Wants to reach Us
- Click the Windows Start menu button and select Control Panel.
- Now using the search bar at the top-right search UAC.
- Now select User Account Control (UAC) from the search results and navigate to the settings.
- Move the slider to minimum security and save the changes by clicking OK.
- Run QuickBooks and try to open the company file once again.
If you are still getting the "QuickBooks The file exists error
" message, then you must consider reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop to get rid of any installation errors. If you need help of a certified QuickBooks Desktop expert, then dial (844)-932-1139
and get in touch with the experts now.